Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As Apple prepares for a rumored launch of its completely redesigned MacBook Air, Microsoft is preparing for competition by beefing up its own entry-level Surface Laptop Go with a new processor, updated thermals, and an improved webcam.

surface-laptop-go-2.jpg

The Surface Laptop Go, launched in 2020, has served as the entry-level Surface laptop in Microsoft's lineup. The laptop, which previously started at $549 (now $599), features a 12.4-inch touchscreen display, a full-sized keyboard, and trackpad, and runs Windows 11.

Microsoft today announced the Surface Laptop Go 2 with Intel's new 11th generation Core i5 processor and a new base storage of 128GB, up from the prior 64GB. In its press release, Microsoft directly draws a comparison between the Surface Laptop Go 2 and Apple's MacBook Air by saying the Surface offers "30% more key travel than a MacBook Air.”

Powered by Intel's 11th generation i5 processor, Microsoft has improved the thermals inside the Surface Laptop Go 2 to be “quieter” and make it easier for users to focus. Microsoft also says that it's updated the webcam, however, as The Verge notes, the webcam is still stuck at 720p, so the improvements are likely in image processing. Apple's current MacBook Air similarly features a 720p webcam, while the MacBook Pro has been updated to 1080p.

Now starting at $599, the Surface Laptop Go 2 is considerably cheaper than Apple's MacBook Air which starts at $999. For the added $399, however, users benefit from the performance and energy efficiency of Apple silicon and a base storage of 256GB.

The latest MacBook Air was released in November 2020 with the M1 chip, but a new, completely redesigned model could be announced as soon as next week. The new model will benefit from a new or existing Apple silicon chip, alongside an entirely redesigned body that comes in several colors.

Article Link: Microsoft Prepares for Launch of New MacBook Air by Updating Low-Cost Surface Laptop

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I dont understand the power button being second to the right ?
On the keyboard of Windows-based devices, the upper-rightmost key is generally the "Delete" key. Putting the power button there would increase the possibility of accidentally putting the system into sleep/suspend. The placement of the power key there (if there has to be one on the keyboard) is better (relatively speaking)

performa_6400

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2020
Would be sweet to see a new Air next week. I'm hoping to help my wife replace her early 2016 Macbook.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
On the keyboard of Windows-based devices, the upper-rightmost key is generally the "Delete" key. Putting the power button there would increase the possibility of accidentally putting the system into sleep/suspend. The placement of the power key there (if there has to be one on the keyboard) is better (relatively speaking)
Except for recent Dell laptops that put the power button in the upper-rightmost position. It is a slightly harder press so unlikely to brush across it and trigger a power off. Also, I think you need to hold it for more than you would a normal keypress.

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
So a similar but not the same (ill explain why) spec for 8GB DDR + 256GB SSD will set you back 800$ , vs M1 that is always on sale these days , seems like an easy choice if you dont care about the OS , that 8GB of memory is a dual channel with slow memory BW (best case , it might even be 1 channel with even worse performance ,they dont say how much BW or channels there are).

And this is the "next gen" ultra book computer , ill wait to see some reviews as I like that space overall , but I dont think they do well , better have some next gen AMD APU in there if your going X86.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Queue MacRumors members complaining that it looks exactly like a MacBook.
Not at all filing a formal complaint - but it does look very Apple. The sunken keys, the hinge design... Hell, even the squared off edge of the screen looks very iPad-ish. If the MBA launched with this aesthetic, I'm pretty sure the community (here) would approve - for the most part.

Remind me: is there some scuttlebutt about a potential MBA update at WWDC or is that more wishful thinking on my part?

Last edited:
Reactions: Naraxus

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
The picture in the article hints of a lighted keyboard, if true that fixes one of the larger fails of the original Go.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Actually looks better than many of the MBA Mockups. Proof you can make laptops in colors without ugly white/light grey bezels and keyboards.
Why can't we have lighted bezels that change color and brightness with user control? Could also be used in poor lighting with camera.

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
So a similar but not the same (ill explain why) spec for 8GB DDR + 256GB SSD will set you back 800$ , vs M1 that is always on sale these days , seems like an easy choice if you dont care about the OS , that 8GB of memory is a dual channel with slow memory BW (best case , it might even be 1 channel with even worse performance ,they dont say how much BW or channels there are).

And this is the "next gen" ultra book computer , ill wait to see some reviews as I like that space overall , but I dont think they do well , better have some next gen AMD APU in there if your going X86.

I bet the “SSD” performance on the Surface is also not on par, not all SSD’s are created equal… If I recall correctly their previous entry level 64GB model used eMMC storage with abysmal performance.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
It’s a nice looking laptop, but specs suck. I would rather get a MacBook Air 2020 over this. The RAM and Storage amount is the same as my Surface Pro 3 from 2014. I do have Windows 11 running on it but it’s groggy sometimes. Sure, this running faster storage and RAM and the 11th gen Intel
helps, but you are gonna run out of storage in no time.

But Microsoft is likely enticing you to buy a 1 TB Office 365 sub where you can store all your files.

ThaGoochiestMane

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2020
This is competition for Google's Chromebooks more so than the MB Air.

Saying it is competition to the Air seems like both a disservice (to the Air) and less than accurate, unless Apple is actually positioning a $999 laptop for the education market.

Reactions: AxiomaticRubric
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.